Historical Soil Data Capture Program
Share your historical soil data and receive up to $10,000 from the Australian Government
AxisTech has been approved as a data broker for the newly established Historical Soil Capture Payments Program which is part of the National Soil Strategy.
The National Soil Strategy (the Strategy) is a 20-year strategy that sets out how Australia will value, manage and improve its soil. The Strategy has been developed in collaboration with state and territory governments, the National Soils Advocate and other major stakeholders in soil science and land management.
Under this program the Australian Government will provide payments up to $10,000 to farmers or land owners in exchange for sharing access and use rights to their soil data repository.
To view the initial media release from the Minister for Agriculture, please click here.
Participating in the Program
To be eligible to participate
- Data owners must be a farmer, land manager or an entity that owns soil data and are based in Australia
- Soil data must have been tested in a certified laboratory before 1/1/22.
- Willing to sign data sharing agreements to share soil information and
- Complete a qualitative survey about land and management practices
Owners can receive payment based on the number of soil properties (i.e. physical, chemical and biological soil characteristics) tested per sample. For more information about the program, please visit the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment’s (DAWE) website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why should I get involved in this program?
A. Some of the reasons are listed below.
- Increase the amount of soil data available for all Australians to use
- Better soil data will lead to improved research, technology and policy outcomes and will benefit all Australians.
- Reduce the loss of high-quality historic soil data and make it accessible through a national soil database.
- Financial incentives to the data owner.
Q. What will I receive?
A. You will receive payments based on the number of soil properties (i.e. physical, chemical and biological soil characteristics) tested per sample as follows:
- $50 – 5 soil properties
- $100 – between 6 and 10 soil properties
- $150 – between 11 and 15 soil properties
- $200 – more than 16 soil properties
Each business or individual can receive up to $10,000 in total. If a business or individual has data valued at more than $10,000, AxisTech will assist in prioritising what data sets the department is most interested in accessing.
Q. How do I upload my soil data?
A. You will receive an email with a link to sign up to AxisStream where you can complete the online form and upload sample soil data. From there your data is sent to the DAWE for eligibility. You will then be notified if you have been approved. If you are approved then we will contact you with details how to to complete the process and receive payment.